Friday, November 11, 2011

{Lest we forget.}

Today is Remembrance Day here in Canada. A solemn day to ponder the effects of war on our world. I'm thinking of all the millions of people affected by war. The soldiers, the innocent civilians, the families of soldiers and those innocent victims of war... So much suffering!

My grandma's handsome brother died in a war. So young.

I'm so grateful for our freedom today. I hope that it will continue and that more nations will be able to be free and have peace.



"I deeply appreciate those who have sacrificed their lives for the cause of human liberty. I hate war, with all its mocking panoply. It is a grim and living testimony that Satan, the father of lies, the enemy of God, lives. War is earth’s greatest cause of human misery. It is the destroyer of life, the promoter of hate, the waster of treasure. It is man’s costliest folly, his most tragic misadventure.

American statesman Charles Sumner, commenting on the cost of war, once said: “Give me the money that has been spent on war, and I will clothe every man, woman, and child in an attire of which kings and queens would be proud. I will build a schoolhouse in every valley over the whole earth. I will crown every hillside with a place of worship, consecrated to the gospel of peace.”

Gordon B. Hinckley, March 1971


The full talk can be read here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! :)